Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Good Old Days




Mason Jars, Living History Farms
 

For many years now my family doctor has been advising (nag, nag, nag) me to test my blood sugar daily at home.  I was diagnosed with diabetes in 1999, and have largely controlled it with diet and daily medication.

On my last visit to the doctor I finally agreed (caved in) to his suggestion.  Yesterday I got my brand new meter (for free!) and test strips (not free, but cheap).  And this morning I had a bit of an epiphany when I discovered my blood sugar was a bit more than twice what it should.

So now it is time to start thinking seriously about food. 

It's easy to blame the "American" diet.  In this country the term "portion" has lost all meaning.  Everything is super-sized from the fries to the burgers to the sodas.  For a time some fast food restaurants quit selling a "small" soda, the smallest size was the "medium". 

The fast food industry keeps pushing bigger and bigger portions on us.  To compensate they come up with oil and fat substitutes.  So, you can stuff your face with potato chips, not gain any weight, and the only downside is explosive diarrhea.

But in the end what goes into my body is my responsibility.  And over all food today is healthier than it has ever been.  Everything from modern farming to better quality control in the food factories have made us healthier.  Stricter laws governing the processing and serving of food also help.

People talk about "the good old days".  But were they really that good?  In the middle ages food in Europe was so god-awful tasting men risked life and limb in the spice trade. 

There have been improvements in nearly every aspect of food.  Food today is more nutritionally dense.  You get more good for your body with every calorie. 

Food is better tasting and more convenient than ever.  When micro-wave ovens first came out they were only good for boiling water and pop corn.  Pizza in the microwave? Thirty years ago it was like warmed over cardboard.

We have better tools to fix our food. We can bake fresh bread in one appliance, make fresh fruit and veggie juice in another, rotisserie a chicken in another appliance, and make fresh ice cream in a 4th.  You can pop a "Tibetan" frozen dinner (product of Canada) in your microwave, or eat fresh mangoes from Mexico.

Consider the life expectancy. During the period brought to life at Living History Farms, about 1900, it was 46.3 years for a man and 48.3 years for a woman. One hundred years later it was 73.8 years for a man and 79.5 years for a woman.  And it continues to grow. 

Does our modern life style create health problems?  Yes, it does.  But over all food in this country is far and away healthier and safer then it has ever been in the past. The healthy choices to control my blood sugar are out there.

And when all is said and done, I'm the one holding the fork. 

1 comment:

  1. Great points here! I like your emphasis on personal responsibility in the face of this greater societal problem... well stated.

    ReplyDelete