Saturday, January 25, 2014

Pushing the Limits

 
The Edge of Reason
 
 
Commander Spock was frequently heard to point out that the conclusions of his human crew mates were illogical.  At times he seemed almost frustrated (an emotion!) by this observation. 
 
Humans are illogical.  Spock should have realized that there is a logical reason why human beings are illogical.  One could even say he should have relaxed and enjoyed the irony of it all.
 
To explain, let's explore the tale of the librarian's catalogue.  This may sound silly, but stick with me for just a bit. 
 
One day the Head Librarian of all libraries put out a call to all the libraries in the country.  Each library was to create a catalogue of all the books in that library. 
 
Within a few months the Head Librarian had stacks of catalogues.  After sifting through the volumes she noticed that some of the catalogues listed the catalogue itself as one of the entries.  Other catalogues did not list themselves as one of the books.
 
So the Head Librarian decided to make two Master Catalogues.  One which contained all the catalogues that contained themselves called Catalogue Y, and one that contained all the catalogues that did not list themselves called Catalogue N.
 
Hang tight, we're almost there.
 
No problem for the catalogue of catalogues that listed themselves, Catalogue Y.  In that catalogue the Head Librarian listed Catalogue Y.
 
But, what about Catalogue N?  The master catalogue of catalogues that do NOT list themselves?
 
If Catalogue N listed itself, it would be incorrect because it should ONLY list catalogues that do not list themselves.  If Catalogue N did NOT list itself then it would be incomplete, because it would not list a catalogue that did not list itself.
 
Still with me?  Good, here's the important part.
 
There is no logical way to resolve the dilemma because the catalogues are "self-referencing" systems.  They refer to themselves in a kind of closed loop.  It is this self-referencing nature that places them outside the limits of logic. 
 
And it is the self-referencing nature of human beings that places them outside of the limits of logic.  So why do I say human beings are self-referencing?
 
Everything I know, I know because of my own experiences.   
 
You can say that someone can describe their experiences and knowledge, and thus impart knowledge to me that is outside of my experience.
 
But consider this, I can only understand what they tell me based solely on my experiences. 
 
If someone tells me they played a grible zinkzat that is meaningless, and no knowledge is imparted. 
 
If someone tells me they played a purple violin, then I can understand and create knowledge in my mind.  But, that knowledge is based on my previous experiences with the color purple and violins. 
 
Had I previously been shown a flute and told that was a violin, then the knowledge my friend tried to share is distorted.  And, it is distorted based on my own personal experience.
 
Imagine what the world would be like if we could share experiences directly, if we could step outside our own experiences?  To know exactly how our fellow humans feel.  To feel their joys, and their pains, and to no longer be blinded by our prejudices. 
 
Human beings aren't logical, and there is a logical reason for it.  It is that ability to step beyond logic that gives us creativity, that gives us the arts,  that creates all that is good about humanity. 
 
And, the irony of being illogical, it is our existence beyond logic that creates and perpetuates prejudice, and all the evils that attend prejudice.
 
What will you create when you step into that wide open space beyond logic? 
 
What will you create with your humanity?

No comments:

Post a Comment