Monday, February 17, 2014

California Dreamin'

"California is a garden of Eden, 
A paradise to live in or see,
But believe it or not,
You won't find it so hot,
If you ain't got that do re mi."
- Woody Guthrie
 
I’ve done a lot of travelling in the last 12 months, more than I would have imagined a few years ago.  Now that things have settled down a bit perhaps it is time to reflect on some of the things I’ve learned.

Before my trip oversees last March I had done a little traveling for work.  Once to Billings, Montana and once to Houston, Texas. They sent me to Los Angeles, California twice.   All wonderful places, and I think I could learn to like living in each of them if need be.

Of those three places I would have to admit to liking Los Angeles the most. 

It may be the ocean that draws me.  There is something wistful and poetic about standing on the shore of the Pacific Ocean at sunset, looking out towards the great forever, wondering about all the places “out there.”

There is a scene in the novel Moby Dick.  The main character of the story has boarded a whaling ship to sign up.  Captain Peleg, one of the owners of the ship, asks him why he wants to sign up for such a perilous job, and the young man tells the old salt he wants to see the world. 

The captain bids the young man to go and look over the bow of the ship, which he dutifully does.  When he returns to the captain's side the captain asks, "What did ye see?"  The young man reports "Not much, nothing but water; considerable horizon though." 

The captain then tells the young man, "Well, what dost thou think then of seeing the world?  Do you wish to go round Cape Horn to see any more of it, eh?  Can't ye see the world where you stand?"

So now that I’ve been to the end of the Santa Monica Pier I could say I’ve seen the world.

Another thing that attracts me to "La-La Land" would be the art and culture.  Never mind "Hollyweird," keep in mind that Los Angeles is also home to many first class museums, including the Getty Center for the Visual Arts. 

If you are ever in southern California and love the arts at all The Getty is a must see.  One could easily spend the whole day exploring the extensive grounds.

If you do, bring a big fat wallet.  The art is world class, and so are the prices at the cafeteria.

One of the nicest attractions at the Getty are the grounds themselves.  The formal gardens beckon one to relax and enjoy the atmosphere, while the stunning architecture inspires, and the views are sure to captivate.
 
Access to nature is also important to me.  Before my trips to California there was a lot of online searching and using Google Earth to find places to go, explore, and photograph.  It really is a shame I had so little time to see those places in person. 

On my last trip there I had planned a cruise to The Channel Islands National Park, a nature preserve offshore.  The trip had to be cancelled due to “June Gloom”.  The foggy weather normally experienced in June lasted well in to July that year.

At least I was able to do some hiking into the infamous Hollywood hills.  Even on a gloomy, cloudy day the views from the hills between Hollywood and Burbank were magnificent.   And I have a list of other hills and trails I hope to explore some day.

To be sure there could be a down side to living in Los Angeles, just as there is in any large metropolitan area. 

Crime can be an issue, yet I think as bad as the crime statistics may be most of it isn't random.  Don't hang out with gangsters and you won't get shot.  The worst crimes the average person is likely to see are the prices at the Circle-K, and just what is in the hot dogs?

Pollution can also be an issue.  On one trip I had to change my hiking plans because the trail I had planned to take was closed due to "toxic soil."  And, so I've been told, if you go shopping for a house in some areas take a Geiger counter with you to check for left over radiation from the war industries.

As a Midwesterner perhaps what makes me most nervous are the earth quakes. 
No matter where you are in the world there is some way that nature will try to kill you from time to time, or at least make sure you're paying attention. 

In the Midwest severe storms, especially tornadoes, are a very real threat.  But at least you can see those coming, you know when the weather is turning threatening.  With earth quakes they're just suddenly there.  No warning, no funny looking clouds in a green sky.  Just there.

In the end, no matter where you live, there is one thing that is pretty constant.  The people.  While there are some characters in L.A. there are also some characters in Iowa City.  And even in a small town like Winterset, home of movie legend and legendary character John Wayne.  The movie industry has it's share of unique people, but many of those people come from the small towns all around the country. 

So the most important thing about where you live, is having the people you love living there to.

No comments:

Post a Comment